Selling a Business
Conducting an effective sale process is critical in maximising value for the seller and managing risk for directors and officers.
Some critical things which may not be entirely obvious but nonetheless ought to be considered when selling a business:
- What is actually being sold?
- What are the tax implications for the seller resulting from the sale?
- How is the transaction going to be structured?
These are only some of the many questions we ask our clients when they retain us to assist them to sell their business. The earlier you know the answer to these questions, the better the result.
We work closely with accountants and other advisors to ensure that the transaction documents eventually used are appropriate to the particular circumstances of our client.
Getting the fundamentals right
It is important to get it right the first time when it comes to selling your business. In many cases, once documents have been signed, there is no turning back. We pride ourselves on our attention to detail and getting it right.
Selling a Business – Our experience
Our experienced business lawyers have seen many different types of transactions in all shapes and sizes.
We mainly deal with sales ranging from a value of $50,000 to $10,000,000 – From a small fitness business to complex transactions involving financial planning firms and anything in between.
We can assist with:
- Early preparation for sale
- Due diligence
- Preparation of disclosure documents
- Negotiation with purchasers
- Discharge of securities required before sale
- Tax planning such as for Capital Gains Tax (in consultation with accountants and expert tax advisors)
- Transfer of employment and employment issues generally
- Transfer of Leases and consent from landlord
- Share Sale Agreements
- Sale of Business Agreements
- Franchise Agreements
- Settlement and completion
- Dispute resolution
If you are considering selling your business it is important to have a lawyer to work with you on the transaction from day one. Speak to one of our business lawyers today by calling 9232 8033.